Sky today unveils that Sky Mobile - the UK’s newest and most flexible mobile service – is now available to buy. Sky Mobile provides the most flexible plans and affordable solution to current issues facing UK consumers, including the latest finding that almost 20 million1 people are overbuying mobile data they don’t use and therefore end up losing it each month.
Following the announcement of Sky Mobile in November, when it was revealed UK consumers waste an estimated £2 billion2 each year on mobile data, Sky Mobile today reveals brand new research that highlights the UK’s mobile data problem even further.
The new data, commissioned by Sky Mobile, suggests almost 20 million smartphone users in the UK are deliberately buying more data than they actually need each month for fear of being overcharged. Almost three quarters (72%) of those buying unnecessary data end up losing around 1GB of their allowance every month. That’s the equivalent of losing out on downloading 200 songs or 500 photos; browsing 10,000 websites or watching two hours of video. One in five (21%) say they have “no idea” how much data they have left at the end of each month.
Stephen van Rooyen, UK and Ireland Chief Executive, said:
“We’re excited that Sky Mobile goes on nationwide sale today, which is great news for UK consumers. Right now mobile contracts are inflexible and confusing and we all know people are buying more data than they need to avoid those extra charges. With Sky Mobile we’ve provided the solution, offering flexibility and great value so our customers’ unused data will be theirs to keep and they can create a plan that’s right for them, month to month. And there’s even more benefits for Sky TV customers with free UK calls and texts, plus the ability to sync with their Sky+ box.”
Sky Mobile has been designed to reflect the way consumers use their phones today, with a combination of four key features:
- Roll – customers can roll over any unused data into their online ‘piggybank’ each month, to use whenever they need for up to three years
- Mix – customers can create a plan that’s right for them, which they can change every month
- Save - Sky TV customers don’t have to pay for UK calls or texts with any Sky Mobile data plan, in one of Sky’s most significant deals ever offered
- Sync – For the first time, Sky TV customers can Sync Sky+ recordings with their phone to create a personal playlist of shows they love to watch wherever they are
Later in 2017, Sky Mobile will expand its offering to include the best handsets from Apple and Samsung, as well as from other providers to be confirmed nearer the time. Customers can pre-register for handsets at sky.com/getmobile.
For further information, please contact:
Sky Mobile comes with three simple data plans – 1GB for £10 a month, 3GB for £15 a month and 5GB for £20 a month. Sky TV customers will get free Unlimited Calls and Texts with every data plan. Non Sky TV customers can add Unlimited Calls and Texts for £10 a month, or simply pay for calls and texts on a Pay As You Use (PAYU) basis, meaning they don’t pay for inclusive calls and texts they don’t need. Sky Mobile will be the only monthly provider that gives customers this flexibility.
Any customer who wants to update their plan during the month can do so easily via My Sky online.
Data and contract length
Customers will have complete flexibility in managing their own data allowance, by either changing their plan to add more data at any time, by redeeming data from their piggybank, or buying a 1GB ‘Add On’. Customers will be notified when they’ve used their monthly data via text message and any extra data they’ve redeemed or added can be used straight away.
Sky Mobile plans are 12 month contracts, with customers free to change their Mix of data, calls and texts every month.
Notes to editors
- UK mobile market is currently valued at £15 billion
- 12 month minimum term applies
- Roll: Customers can redeem rolled-over data in 1GB increments. Data in piggybank expires after three years
- Mix: Downgrades are effective in the month following selection
- Save: Free unlimited calls and texts will end on cancellation of TV subscription and standard published prices will apply (£10 per month)
- Sync: Sky TV customers with a compatible Sky+ box only (see sky.com/compatible). Not compatible with Sky Q. Selected content only. Sync recordings on home broadband. Cached view available out of home. Sky+ and Sky Go apps required. UK/Ireland only. Concurrent online viewing on two devices. Two downloads per programme. Content deleted from device 48 hours after viewing starts or no later than 30 days after download. Compatible device and software requirements at sky.com/skygodevices
- Sky’s extensive consumer research has revealed UK consumers use on average less than half of the mobile data they buy every month, wasting an estimated £2 billion each year. For the typical pay monthly subscriber that’s over £50 a year spent on unused data, which they lose each month while still paying the same monthly fee.
Sky is Europe's leading entertainment company, serving 22 million customers across five countries: UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Italy. We offer the best and broadest range of content, deliver market-leading customer service and use innovative new technology to give customers a better TV experience, whenever and wherever they choose.
Sky has annual revenues of £12 billion and is Europe's leading investor in television content with a combined programming budget of £5.2 billion. The group employs 30,000 people and is listed on the London Stock Exchange (SKY).
1 Data established from ICM Unlimited research sample of 1,631 where half of respondents (50%) admit they deliberately buy more data than they actually need or use each month and the number of people with smartphones in the UK (39.7 million) from Kantar Worldpanel, November 2016.
2 Kantar World panel market sizing and allowance data, plus internal estimates
3 New research conducted by ICM Unlimited on behalf of Sky, based on 1,631 UK smartphone users in November 2016